Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The year is young, but this is my favorite day so far...




Saturday, January 13

After leisurely caffeinating with my roommate, while pouring over Bridal magazines and gushing over wedding gowns (I informed Carla that I would be the first official Bridezillamaid), I embarked on a day of perfect simple fun. It started out at the apartment of original mensch Matty Hogan, where I rendezvoused with the notorious Michael Sanders and his band of merry mates, who were gracing Northern Virginia with their much-desired presence for the weekend.

In brief homage to the aforementioned mates... These guys -- my brother and his friends -- are the most rollicking, quirky gentlemen I know. And I heart each one of them. (They always let me choose my Monopoly piece first and roll before anyone else, while turning a blind eye to my dubious strategy for domination; they listen to my dating horror stories and respond with the perfect blend of levity and protection; they seamlessly fold me into their boys club without for a moment falling down on their chivalry or good manners).

At Mr. Hogan's house, my brother and I put on a veritable concert of epic guitar songs with Guitar Hero, which might just be the most simulated fun I've ever had...

This was followed by lunch at Elevation Burger in Falls Church, home of my second favorite burger in the sub-gourmet category and my all-time favorite french fries. This obviously spurned a lively, and at times contentious, debate on the "best burger ever" and made each of us take a serious look at our own evaluation criteria for such critical topics.

The dramatic climax of the day was disc golf in Arlington. In the 60 degree heat wave, I went sans long sleeves and procured what might be my first ever January freckles. Aaron Stone, once again, tried to help me with my pathetic forehand throw. And my brother, the self-proclaimed John McEnroe of disc golf, demonstrated that for one to truly be successful in one's throw he (or she) must make the sound of the creature on his (or her) disc as it is thrown. My driving disc has a banshee on it. I opted not to howl, but I did enjoy my brother's sith-like scream as he lurched his...

It was sad to see the Lynchburg crew pack up and go. I can't wait for the Spring and similar days in such good company.

No comments: