Saturday, May 27, 2006

Today's thought on hope

Sometimes it's a little hard for me to feel hopeful about my own future when I really contemplate the unfolding of my parents' lives. Their wedding pictures, for example, are the photographic embodiment of a lifetime of hopes and anticipated blessings. No one will argue that over the course of their lives together myriad hopes were fulfilled and that, indeed, countless blessings were dealt. But, mercifully, what was absent from my father's youthful grin and what couldn't have tarnished my mother's glow of elation was the knowledge that thirty years later one would die prematurely, and the other would be stricken with a debilitating disease.

While I myself wait for and anticipate the things that precede and lead up to that wedding day bliss and other lifetime highlights, my resolve grows shaky and I'm forced to consider what I might never receive. Or will receive, but briefly.

One can but trust in God and operate with fearless hope, confident expectation, and the solid faith that is necessary to give us peace no matter what portion is allotted.

2 comments:

birru said...

I wish your concerns weren't caused by such tangibly heavy experiences.

I'm not religious myself, but you have faith, and I disagree that faith should be fearless, confident, and solid. Life will make you question everything, it will test you, and you will have doubts. It takes endurance to come out on the other side of all that with your beliefs intact. My faith lies with your ability to do just that.

You deserve what you hope for.

Courtney said...

Well said, my friend. Thank you.